The library began on Dec. 14, 1929 as a collection of books housed in the basement of the City Hall. In 1945, a referendum was held to establish a village library, which became part of the annual village levy. The books were moved to a 900 square foot room on a ground floor in the rear of the City Hall. This was the library's home for 35 years.
In late 1980, volunteers moved the library collections to a 9,000 square foot space in the high school. This space was shared with the high school library. Books were interfiled and the library was open to the public, even during school hours. In November 1981, the library was converted to a district library that included all of Lemont Township.
Lemont Public Library District operated in the Lemont Township High School for sixteen years. The passage of a referendum in March 1996 gave the library district the necessary funds to build a separate facility at 50 E. Wend St. In November 1997, over 200 volunteers organized by Boy Scout Ryan Porter moved the library books to the new building. The new 22,000 square foot library building opened to the public on November 12, 1997.
In June, 2008 long-time director James McGloin retired and was replaced by current Library Director Sandra Pointon.
In August, 2008, the teen area was remodeled and expanded with funding provided in part by the Illinois State Library. New carpeting, furniture and shelving created an inviting, spacious area for Lemont teens to browse the expanded fiction offerings, use computers for online projects and work with other teens on homework assignments. A “Teen Tech Zone” was created with the addition of seven new computers generously provided by the Friends of the Lemont Public Library.
In 2009, the Library Board embarked on a long-range planning process to help meet the needs of Lemont residents in the future. A committee of trustees, staff and community members has conducted surveys, held community forums and discussed the library’s role in the community with key government officials. This Long Range Plan will guide the Library Board as it plans how to best meet the needs of Lemont residents while utilizing our financial resources most effectively in the next 5 to 10 years.
The Library has made many technological improvements to enhance access to library materials and services. In 2003, the Library implemented a new operating system which gave library users the ability to access the library catalog from home for searching, renewing items and placing holds for materials. Self checkout machines were installed in the library. In 2009, a computer reservation system was installed to provide easier access to the library’s 27 public computers and an online calendar of events was introduced, allowing patrons to view program offerings and register online.
We upgraded our technology infrastructure to better serve the needs of our residents. We replaced our server, enhanced our networks systems and installed a computer reservation system to expedite access to our free computer resources. New public access computers with the Windows 7 operating system were installed in 2010, thanks to a gift from the Friends of the Library.